- Brooklyn, NY
- 100% in-person
Renovate Robotics is a venture backed climate tech startup. We're building robots to install solar and shingles on residential roofs, allowing laborers and contractors to work safer, faster and cheaper. We've built a proof of concept prototype, and are recruiting the foundational technical team to get our product to market.
About the Role:
This engineer will be responsible for developing and deploying the real-time control software for our robot system including:
- kinematic engine for a parallel-cable robot that includes closed-loop controls for motor positions and cable tensions
- PLC controls to place each shingle in the correct position and nail them to the roof
- They will work closely with mechanical engineers to automate safety routines and to optimize the system efficiency.
- They will work closely with the software engineers to take in robot instructions and pass back data about the robot state.
- This role requires in depth understanding of linear algebra, control theory, robot kinematics, and synchronous motion controllers
- This role will require hands-on time operating the robot
- This person will be a foundational hire for our start-up team. They will shape both the product and the company culture. They will have the expectation and responsibility to work hard to fix problems and deliver results, even outside of their expertise.
Ideal Candidate Background:
- Master’s or Ph.D. in Mechanical Eng. or Electrical Eng. (or similar) with emphasis on robotic controls
- 5+ years experience programming automation equipment (B&R Automation Runtime experience a plus)
- Demonstrated experience understanding electrical schematics and troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems
- Focused on long-term growth and development
What You’ll Get:
- Compensation package including salary and stock options
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Flexible PTO Policy**
Renovate is solving real problems that exist at the intersection of climate change and labor shortages.
We are backed by some of the top hard-tech investors in the world. Through them we are part of an incredible community of engineers and business builders using technology to solve real problems that improve humanity.
If you are motivated to work with top-level people and solve real-world problems, we encourage you to reach out!
Roofing is dangerous, hard, low-paying work. Old roofers are retiring and young people are not entering the profession to take their place.
Demand for roof installations are increasing, driven largely by the adverse effects of climate change. Hurricanes, hailstorms, and windstorms are stronger and more frequent than ever before - and causing more roof damage than ever before.
Roofs also offer the best solution for increasing clean energy production. Rooftop solar generates clean electricity at the point-of-use and is cheaper than any other form of electricity. And this is a big opportunity - there are over 70 million houses that are viable for solar installations!
Our robot helps contractors increase their productivity to meet this rising demand while also updating their service offering to become solar installers too.