Communications Network Modeling and Sim Engineer (Python)
You are skilled in space-based communication and interested in building intelligent space systems to modernize satellite operations. To succeed in this fast-paced, dynamic startup environment, you must be comfortable taking ideas from theory and turning them into successful deployments. As an network engineer, you will:
- Develop network simulations for constellations of Earth-orbiting satellites and model communication interactions between satellites and ground-based assets.
- Design and implement route optimization strategies for dynamic space-based mesh networks.
- Perform network design, trade-off studies and assist in developing and defining protocols for Layers 2 and 3.
- Provide communications network expertise to support data science and machine learning development.
Any experience related to the following would be of particular interest.
- Discrete-event network simulators, such as NS3 or OPNET.
- Knowledge of wireless SDWAN, MPLS, IPSec, and traffic shaping.
- Experience implementing network protocols and routing algorithms, such as Dijkstra's, and Floyd-Warshall’s algorithms, as well as solving network flow optimization via mixed-integer programming.
- Knowledge of QoS algorithms, cellular/satellite network protocols, and software defined networks.
- Experience developing embedded flight software for satellite communication systems.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and tuning of component hardware, software, networking and communications protocol problems.
- Experience with systems integration and testing methodologies.
- US Citizenship required.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s degree, or Ph.D. in a relevant field: Aerospace, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar.
- 4+ years of professional experience.
- Proficiency with C/C++ or Python and object-oriented programming design.
- Proficiency with Linux development environment.
- Expertise in TCP/IP networking fundamentals, communication protocols, mesh networks, delay tolerant networks, and the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model
- Comprehensive knowledge of communications systems, space systems, ground station networks, link budgets, radio frequency (RF) and optical laser communications
- Ability to communicate complex data in a simple, actionable way
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and work collaboratively on complex tasks.
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills.
One of the most interesting aspects of working at a startup company is gaining equity in the company, which means our success is your success. In addition to equity in the form of options, we also offer:
- Unlimited Time-Off policy, and company holidays
- Cost-effective health care, dental, and vision with company contributions.
- 401K plan
- Life insurance
- Short term and long-term disability
- Office Amenities (co-working stipend is available)
This position is remote. Our HQ is located in Houston, TX.
Multiple studies have found that a higher percentage of women and BIPOC candidates won't apply if they don't meet every listed qualification. Cognitive Space values candidates of all backgrounds. If you find yourself excited by our mission but you don't check every box in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway!